skip to main content

Can I contribute to a SIPP when a non-resident?

Once I move abroad, will I still be able to contribute or pay money into a SIPP?

Can I contribute to a SIPP when a non-resident?

Strictly speaking, UK non-residents are not allowed to make contributions to a SIPP. However, if you were classed as a UK tax resident within the previous five years you should still be able to make contributions of up to £3,000 each year.

As each SIPP has slightly different rules you would need to consult your existing SIPP provider to be able to establish whether you can continue contributing to your SIPP once you have left the UK. It is recommended that you ensure you are aware of the rules before you move abroad, if possible.

Despite these rules, it is possible to open a SIPP and transfer funds from a different UK personal pension scheme whilst you are a UK non-resident. However, once open, you may not be able to make ongoing contributions to the SIPP, whereas you should still be able to make contributions to other existing personal pension schemes.

If you have been a UK non-resident for five or more years, you may wish to consider transferring any existing pensions to a QROPS which would enable you to continue making contributions. Please be aware that QROPS will probably come with additional fees and charges (such as the Overseas Transfer Fee) and you would receive no tax-relief. It is essential that you must seek independent advice before making any decisions about transferring any pension funds.

For more information about SIPPs for expats and non-residents please read our article SIPPs for Expats.

Request assistance with a free consultation

If you would like a free consultation with an independent advisor, please enter your details using the form.

Once your details are received we will select the most suitable advisor from our network to contact you to arrange your free consultation.

The consultation will last between 15 and 30 minutes and will enable you to have your general questions answered, including evaluating your tax residence status and ultimately help you decide whether a SIPP or an alternative solution is best for you. 

Last updated: 26 April 2019 at 14:57