skip to main content
Speak to a England and Wales Solicitor >

Immigration to the UK post-Brexit

With the UK leaving the EU, there have been a number of changes that will affect EU citizens planning to relocation and live in the UK. This article highlights those changes and explains what you need to do.

Written on 5 July 2021

There can be a wide variety of reasons for visiting the UK, and whether it is a student, child, a professional or just medical necessity, there are different types of visas that will apply to each individual. Along with these, leaving the EU has brought some changes to some of the necessary requirements that are needed for certain types of migration.

Below is a closer look at what the exact changes are that have been made, and other important information needed in order to obtain visitor entry clearance to allow entry into the UK in a post-Brexit era.

Information within this article must not be taken as legal advice and should provide only a better understanding of what the process may or may not entail.

What details influence the type of Visa I need?

There are different forms of Visa, and what kind you need will ultimately be dependent on the following details which relate and change for each individual;

  • Personal circumstance and/or skills
  • How long you intend to stay
  • Your reason for wanting to visit the UK
  • Where abouts you are visiting from

Work-based immigration requirements

After the ending of free movement between the UK and the EU on 31st December 2020, a new points-based immigration system has been introduced, in an effort to treat both UK and EU citizens equally.

In terms of working within the UK as an EU citizen, permission must first be granted in advance.

The new points-based system means that anyone outside of the UK applying to work within the UK must meet a specific list of requirements, scoring points depending on which of them they meet.

If you meet the minimum amounts of points needed, Visas can then be granted based on the resulting score.

A total of 70 points is needed in order to be able to work within the UK (which can be calculated through a categorized points-chart, provided on the UK government website).

Skilled Work Visa

This type of visa is new and has replaced what was known as the Tier 2 General Worker visa and ultimately allows businesses to sponsor’s both EU and non-EU nationals, enabling them to work within the UK from 1st January 2021.

Some of the necessary requirements for the skilled worker visa include;

  • A minimum of 70 points via the new point-based chart system
  • Meeting the minimum English Language requirement
  • A general salary of approximately £25,600
  • A skill criteria of NVQ Level 3

Investment Visa

With regards to Investment visa’s, the main change has meant that EU nationals are now also able to apply and use this route of migration in the UK.

Of course, for a Tier One Investment Visa, the strict requirement remain in place. Some of these include;

  • Being able to show that you have a minimum of £2 million in funds held within a regulated financial institution
  • Ensuring that these funds are accessible and disposable within the UK
  • Being 18 over
  • Being able to provide evidence that these funds belong to either yourself, your spouse, or your partner

Other similar avenues to Investment Visas can be a ‘Start-up’ visa or an ‘Innovator visa’, aimed more directly at business growth, and its overall uniqueness.

Student visa requirements for migration

In the case of students (excluding things such as funding and other financials), not much has changed for them in the ways of ‘Brexit’.

Just for students alone, there are four varieties of Visa, which vary depending on factors like the type of course or the length of time it takes to complete. A Standard Visitor Visa, Short-term Study Visa, Student Visa, and Child Student Visa are all available within the UK.

In association with

Starck Uberoi Solicitors